To celebrate the world culture day we were divided into groups and were given a continent to represent. Individually, we had had to choose a country and had to represent its culture in an effective and creative way. We got South America where I represented the country Chile. As a group we made a menu, Instagram page, played ethnic music on guitar and made some local dishes to match our theme which was a restaurant. The learning outcomes I achieved during this event are:
LO 2 – Demonstrate that challenges have been undertaken, developing new skills in the process.
Making a discount offer poster for our restaurant was a challenge for me as I am not tech-friendly but with the help of my team members I could create one and hence developed new skills. This skill will help me in future projects.
In this project, we also had to bring ethnic/local food items of the country we were representing. I decided to bring a local soup called Valdiviano. I had cooked the soup myself by referring to a lot of recipes. I did mistakes and once it turned out to be disastrous also. However, by seeking my mother’s help I could make it on the day of the project. I learnt new skills and techniques of cooking which are essential life skills. It will definitely help me in university.
LO 5 – Demonstrate the skills and recognise the benefits of working collaboratively
Initially there were 6 members in our group but 1 one of them did not turn up in any of the meeting and work assigned was also not done on time but instead of complaining about that again and again as a group we divided the remaining work and unitedly finished the pending work to make our Continent look best. Also, everyone cooperated and gave respect to the team leaders which made our communication much more effective. Working collaboratively acted as a strength for us, that helped us in executing our plans in a creative and productive way.
LO 7 – Recognise and consider the ethics of choices and actions
Ethics were involved in our project as we had to bring local food items, that originally contained meat and eggs. Ethnically the soup I had to make also contained eggs and meat for the taste and colour but as per our school food policy, non-vegetarian food items are not allowed. Hence, to stick to school ethics I decided to add beetroot as it would give the colour of flesh and my purpose of making the soup look like a local dish would also be solved.
Overall, this experience taught me a lot and helped me develop new skills.